Saturday, April 10, 2010

Coach DAD

Joshua started outdoor soccer this week and loved it. I think Joshua really likes soccer no matter what but this time having Ben his coach really helps make it more fun. A couple of weeks ago they called and asked Ben if he would be willing to coach. Ben was a little reserved about it and was not sure he was qualified. After a little persuasion from me he agreed. Once Ben agreed he has jumped in head first, he has coordinated practices and team meetings both of which have gotten the team really excited to play together. The league coordinator told him it was not mandatory that they hold any outside practices or team meetings beside the scheduled games, so all of those he planned were his on his own.
Now we are fast forwarding to the game that was this week. I arrived a little late because the two younger kids were not quite ready but when we got there I scanned the six field to find Joshua and Ben. As I looked at each field I noticed the coaches were present but not super involved. Then I saw the field Joshua's team was playing on. Ben was running down the field cheering the boys on helping them know what to do by coaching them a long. At each break he gave them praise and made sure they understood everything. I have to say I was filled with pride he was going over and above what he had to do. You could immediately tell that his energy was effecting the boys in a very positive way, and that made me very thankful. Thankful that I have a husband who is willing to step out of his comfort zone to be a great Dad. Thanks Ben, and go yellow team!!!!

3 comments:

Pogue Fam said...

That's so sweet! I love when coaches are more about encouraging the kids then being tough on them. So cool :)

Clark Family said...

It makes it so much fun to have them play when their dad can coach them. There is a sense of pride in the kids too. GO JOSHUA!!!

Kaelee said...

Oh my, I have some catching up to do (as usual). First of all, yay for Joshua's acting debut! I'm glad to hear it went well. Second, yay for marriage seminar! Glad to hear that went well, too :) Third, YAY for Coach Ben! I am coaching both of my girls' soccer teams and it gets BUSY! I'm glad he's enjoying it so much. So we're getting closer to an ETA for Matt, I'll let you know when I know. And also I've been meaning to call you so expect it...soon!